Stu Paul's Recovery Update

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Stu Paul
The middle number please (4738): 0

Stu Paul's Recovery Update

#1 Post by Stu Paul » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:36 am

Hi Folks,

I hope that everyone is doing well as of this writing.

First of all, please let me start off by saying that I want to thank EVERYONE so much for their kind words, well-wishes and thoughts and prayers during my recovery.

For those of you who don't know what happened to me, I had an accident while falling down 2 flights of stairs while exiting Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa back on Tuesday night, July 19th after I broadcast a Nashville Sounds-Iowa Cubs game. I had already done my post-game work and ready to call it a night and head back to the team hotel. The weather has been hot and of course, we know it's summertime, but the heat index was 115 that night. I didn't want to take the elevator because 1) there was no air conditioning in there and 2) there weren't too many people left at the ballpark and didn't want to risk getting stuck in a hot elevator. This was not the first time I took the stairs. I was as careful as I always could be, but on the 3rd step going down from the top, my foot kind of slipped and gave way and I went down the stairs sideways. There is a platform between staircases, so I decided to take a deep breath and get a hold of myself to see if I could stand up. As I was pulling myself up, I notice a "stretching" around the knee area and it hurt. When I stood up, the pain subsided. However, when I took another step, my knees locked and I went down the 2nd flight. Thank Goodness I had my cell phone with me. I couldn't move my shoulder, but I was able to contact the Sounds Trainer, Dave Yaeger and I caught him just as he was leaving the park himself. I told him my predicament and I was in trouble. He asked me not to try to move and he would be there ASAP. He was by my side within a matter of minutes and he and the paramedics were there to help me in the ambulance. I didn't have any numbness in my legs, but it felt like a "valley" around my knees and that didn't look good! I knew something was not right when my knees locked.

To try to make a long story short, I learned that I tore the quads in both legs and my shoulder was dislocated. The next morning, I had surgery and that came out well, but I was told that I had to be off my feet for at least 6 to 8 weeks. Thank Goodness, I didn't fracture anything. It could have been a whole lot worse. These injuries have been the WORST injuries that I've ever had in my life and it's the first time that I ever experienced a serious injury or two.

16 days have passed and the great news is that I am feeling stronger and better and the doctor wants me to take off my knee braces 3x a day. I started a progressive range of motion and I have NOT experienced any pain whatsoever. My shoulder is still sore, but my right arm is getting stronger. The physical therapists during rehab have been encouraging and helpful and I am able to type with both hands again and I am using a knife and fork without any problems as I am also eating lunch while typing this.

I hadn't had a checkup in a long time, so it was a blessing that I am in a great medical facility. My blood pressure, heart and lungs are good and there is nothing wrong with my blood either. i always had a fear of getting diabetes since my dad and sister have Type 2 Diabetes and admittedly, I haven't always eaten well. Fortunately, I do NOT have diabetes and I have improved my diet and eating better here as well.

My health insurance is covering everything and it is a Workers Comp situation, so I have no worries when it comes to health coverage and finances. My ballclub, especially our General Manager, has been great and everyone has told me not to worry but to just focus on getting healthy again. Even the owners have been great and have told me how much they enjoy listening to me on the radio.

I have gotten tons of phone calls, e-mail and facebook messages and I am so humbled by all of this. I don't how I am going to pay everyone back, but of course, I would and will ALWAYS be there for EVERYONE else in return should they ever go through any misfortunes.

I hope to be transferred to a bed at a Nashville rehab center once they find one. They haven't yet, but I'm not concerned about that. I'm progressing every day and I'm with great people at the hospital who are aware of my condition and who have followed my progress and continue to help me while I'm on the mend towards 100 percent health. Rest assured, I will fully recover. As you all know, I'm a very motivated person and I have the same drive in terms of getting better as I do in moving up in the sportscasting industry and in life in general.

I must remain off my feet for at least 6 to 8 weeks, so I am done broadcasting for this year. I'm in good hands with some great announcers including Predators' TV Voice Pete Weber, former Oklahoma City RedHawks (and current AHL OKC Barons' TV Voice) Jim Byers and Kevin Ingram from our flagship station, 104.5 The Zone. The Sounds went about lining these guys up since they wanted to assure me that I'm in good hands. They have all done a tremendous job in my absence. I know the fans still miss me and want me back and I thank them for that. I did mention that these guys are great, so support them as well.

Once I recover, I look forward to getting back to work as soon as possible and to return to my apartment. Since I live on the 2nd floor at my complex and it is a walk-up, it is impossible for me to go there until I'm done rehabbing.

Even though I was mad for the accident as I was as careful as I could be, I realize that accidents do happen and that life goes on. Everything, good or bad, happens for a reason and I know that something REAL POSITIVE will come out of all this. Things tend to work themselves out for the best and I'm very optimistic that things will be better because of what was a catastrophic experience. Of course, I pray to God that this will NEVER EVER HAPPEN again to me and I don't want it to EVER HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE, despite the fact that accidents could happen at any moment as well as anytime and anywhere and to anyone.

Again, thank you so much for your support and if there is ANYTHING that I can do for ANYONE, whether it's sportscasting advice or to chat, please do NOT hesitate to ever contact me. I'm always here for all of you and I want everyone to have peace, health, financial security, a great career/job, supporting friends and relatives, but above all else, HAPPINESS!! Life is too short to not be happy and there are a lot of great things in life that do make myself and others happy.

Having so many wonderful friends is something that I cherish so much.

I will continue to update all of you on my condition and well-being. I'm taking steps in the right direction and I do look forward to the day when takes are finally back to normal.

God Bless All of You and Continued success and happiness to all of you as well!

Thank you for your time in taking the time to read this!

johnmeissner

Re: Stu Paul's Recovery Update

#2 Post by johnmeissner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 am

Great update Stu. Thanks for checking in.

Your post reminds me of my stay in the hospital 5 years ago, when I had surgery to rid myself of stage one colon cancer. I remember how good it made me feel inside (although physically, typing was quite hard then) to let my friends know how I was doing. And the support I received in return from my online friends, my flesh-and-blood ones and my wife as well, definately helped speed up the healing process. It helped allow me, one month later, to move from Florida to Nebraska for a gig in the USHL.

You keep up the good work recovery-wise and as a former boss of mine always says:

"See you on the radio!"

JPsT
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

#3 Post by JPsT » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Glad to hear some positive news, Stu. Prayers and best wishes for continued recovery.

JimRiley

#4 Post by JimRiley » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Continued recovery, Stu
"They have their hands cut out for them." J. Vilma 11/23/18

steve2526

#5 Post by steve2526 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:30 pm

JPsT wrote:Glad to hear some positive news, Stu. Prayers and best wishes for continued recovery.
+1 from me. You'll be chasing the nurses around in no time! :lol:

Steve Penstone

Growing old is mandatory -growing up is optional!

Steve Carney

#6 Post by Steve Carney » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:49 pm

A great piece of news. Hope the recovery is quick and thorough Stu!
Steve Carney
Rays Insider and "Inside Pitch" and "Extra Innings" Host
620 WDAE and 95.3 FM -- Tampa Bay's Sports Radio
Tampa, FL
Follow me on Twitter: @stevecarney
Listen Live: http://620wdae.com/listen

VLavalle

#7 Post by VLavalle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:46 pm

From one going through recovery from a heart scare, don't rush it. You've got time. Good to hear you're progressing.
Alvin Washington Jr
Media Relations
Windy City Groove Professional Basketball
www.windycitygroove.com

Rob Adams

#8 Post by Rob Adams » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Glad to hear you're doing well, Stu. Your attitude should be contagious! Keep it up.
Rob Adams
Sports Director, WGCH Radio - http://www.wgch.com
Hudson Valley Renegades Broadcaster
Robcasting Radio