Looking for my first job out of college.

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
delvestc
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Looking for my first job out of college.

#1 Post by delvestc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:41 pm

I am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Thomas Delves and I graduated from Miami University this past May. I am looking to break into sports media. I have been able to gain valuable experiance along my way but still am looking to get my foot in the door somewhere.

http://www.ThomasCDelves.com is my website and it has lots of my work posted there.

The dream is to make it on-air at some point, but for now, I want someone to give me a chance.

Any ideas, thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Thomas Delves

RyanPiers182
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Re: Looking for my first job out of college.

#2 Post by RyanPiers182 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Thomas....in my opinion (and from what I read) a good job searcher spends only about 20% of his time actually searching for a job. The other 80% is spent networking, traveling to to deliver his/her resume, going to conferences, learning about the field, etc. So my suggestion is for every one job you apply for you should send out eight or nine emails to to potential employers telling them who you are and what you can offer. Also attach a link your website, which I would think contains your demo and resume. Once you establish connection, keep in contact with them with some sort of a message every couple of months. I also recommend you figure out who are the top recent college grads or soon-to-be college grads within your region and form networks with them. Like high school, the sports broadcasting world is always easier to navigate when you know the popular kids ;)

There is a good, "beginner" network I can reference you to in Illinois. Send me an email at rjpiers1@gmail.com for more info. Good luck.

Jon Chelesnik

Re: Looking for my first job out of college.

#3 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Prompted by your question, I just published a blog post on this topic. I hope it helps!

http://staatalent.com/?p=20576