Trent Dilfer joins the fray

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
ssteve

Trent Dilfer joins the fray

#1 Post by ssteve » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Said the receiver "high points" the ball. I watched the replay, and tried to figure out what that means. I've asked here and elsewhere what these analysts mean and nobody knows. Anyone have have any earthly idea?

PhilGiubileo
The middle number please (4738): 0

Re: Trent Dilfer joins the fray

#2 Post by PhilGiubileo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 pm

It's the goal of a receiver to catch the football at its highest point, so that the defender cannot get to it. I wasn't watching the game--was this on a "jump ball" kind of pass--like a corner fade route?
Phil Giubileo
Play-by-Play Broadcaster/CT Whale (NWHL) & Quinnipiac University Men's/Women's Hockey (ECAC)
Always looking for freelance work in the NY/NJ/CT area

Follow me on Twitter @philgpbp
See my website at http://www.playbyplay.biz

ssteve

#3 Post by ssteve » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Highest point of what? Of flight? It, at one time, was 20 feet in the air. If its the end of the ball that's higher, he didn't do that either.

PhilGiubileo
The middle number please (4738): 0

#4 Post by PhilGiubileo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Highest point of being able to make a play on it. If a ball is 20 feet in the air when it gets to the receiver/defender, neither will get to it.

Think of it like getting a rebound in basketball, only it's a 6-4 WR vs. a 5-11 CB... On basically a "jump ball" type of pass--imagine the WR timing his leap, stretching his arms up in the air and catching the ball with his hands (not his body)... He's most likely going to get to a higher point than the defensive back... It's also not necessarily an easy play to make... It's pretty much as it sounds...

I did a quick search and found an article that goes into a little more detail--hope this helps illustrate it... Not sure where you're confused--the description pretty much sounds (to me anyway) exactly like what he was describing...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012 ... -tall-guys
Phil Giubileo
Play-by-Play Broadcaster/CT Whale (NWHL) & Quinnipiac University Men's/Women's Hockey (ECAC)
Always looking for freelance work in the NY/NJ/CT area

Follow me on Twitter @philgpbp
See my website at http://www.playbyplay.biz

ssteve

#5 Post by ssteve » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Ok. So it is catching the ball at HIS highest point of jumping??

Brady Stiff
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

#6 Post by Brady Stiff » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:15 pm

ssteve wrote:Ok. So it is catching the ball at HIS highest point of jumping??
Sort of. It's catching the ball at the highest point of ball flight where the receiver is actually able to make the catch.

Basically, it means that receivers are going to get the ball, rather than waiting for it to come to them. It's equivalent to an infielder charging a ground ball in order to avoid a potential bad hop. The receiver is trying to eliminate (in some situations) any chance the defender has to make a play on the ball.