No more Mount Rushmores... please!

Gather around for news and rumors about the industry
Jon Chelesnik

No more Mount Rushmores... please!

#1 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Please -- no more "who do you put on the local Mount Rushmore of sports" on your local radio show. Its tired, boring, uncreative and lazy. Be better than that.

AaronOster
antispam: No
The middle number please (4738): 4738

Re: No more Mount Rushmores... please!

#2 Post by AaronOster » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:03 pm

What's the Mt Rushmore of overdone show segments?

Jon Chelesnik

#3 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Ooohhh....good topic. I'll start it:

* The Mount Rushmore of local sports
* Best and worst sports movies
* (At Thanksgiving) What are you thankful for?
* What three people would you want at your Thanksgiving table
* Holiday gifts for famous sports personalities
* The craziest athlete names of all-time. (ex: Coco Crisp -- hahaha. Hello... Is this mic on?)
* Best nicknames
* Best/worst athletes-turned-actors

Generally, any kind of list-making is horrible radio.

garjedi85

#4 Post by garjedi85 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I agree with the point Jon 1000% from a show of ability standpoint, but lets be clear about something, people, especially millennials LOVE lists. It fits in well with our google smart phone fast paced culture so while it is lazy and uncreative it is something people gravitate to. Linkedin articles are a perfect example of this; how many of them are "5 ways to increase brand awareness" or "10 tips for hiring great people?"
Gary M. Ayd
Owner/Founder
Cave Talk Radio
http://www.cavetalkradio.com
Gary@Cavetalkradio.com
(845) 824.2283

Tyking

#5 Post by Tyking » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:35 am

Oooh, oooh, weekly NFL picks! Those are just the *best*.

Jon Chelesnik

#6 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Agree 100%. Everyone does 'em but it is almost always a boring segment. I don't gamble or play fantasy football, though, so perhaps my judgement is clouded.

When I was at ESPN Radio, instead of picks we did Pick 6. Listeners could submit six winners, straight up. Sounds easy but no more than two or three folks from a national radio audience were ever able to do it.

JohnGregory

#7 Post by JohnGregory » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 pm

I have to disagree with you on lists as bad radio, Jon. If done infrequently, they can work very well. Especially when it comes to filling up the phone lines with callers who disagree with certain picks. That's also helpful for getting lots of callers on one specific topic-that keeps the show focused and moving forward. Nothing makes me switch stations faster than a caller who hijacks the conversation. Stop them from doing that with a focused discussion(like a list), you've got me for a whole segment, and there's some quality TSL for your ratings.

I do agree that the examples given have been done to death.

Jon Chelesnik

#8 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:21 pm

You are right -- some listeners are passionate about some lists. The problem is it is usually a narrow segment of your audience. Hard core fans will listen to sports radio no matter who is on or what they are talking about. You don't get paid by appealing only to them. You build ratings and get paid when you entice casual and the non-sports fan to listen.

Asking callers for their top 5 quarterbacks or best baseball teams of all-time is lazy, boring radio. Lists like this are tired and overdone. Great hosts give their listeners something they can't get anywhere else.

VLavalle
The middle number please (4738): 0

#9 Post by VLavalle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 am

You know, with Father's Day just passed, here's a topic I'm quite sure no one has touched on:

NBA stars coping with adversity: then and now. Believe me, I could go on for at least 10 minutes with monologue about this.
Alvin Washington Jr
Media Relations
Windy City Groove Professional Basketball
www.windycitygroove.com

PhilGiubileo

#10 Post by PhilGiubileo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 am

Speaking of the NBA, Father's Day and Mt. Rushmore's... How about a Mt. Rushmore of Shawn Kemp's favorite children? If you want to add in the NFL, you could do the same w/Antonio Cromartie's kids...

Jokes aside--I'm w/Jon--not a big an of these types of topic fillers...
Phil Giubileo
Play-by-Play Broadcaster/CT Whale (NWHL) & Quinnipiac University Men's/Women's Hockey (ECAC)
Always looking for freelance work in the NY/NJ/CT area

Follow me on Twitter @philgpbp
See my website at http://www.playbyplay.biz

pbpisfun

#11 Post by pbpisfun » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:45 pm

NBC/Pro Football Talk guru Mike Florio is doing a Mt. Rushmore for every NFL franchise right now on his site/Twitter. Dragging it out for a number of weeks.

JimRiley

#12 Post by JimRiley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 am

The sports versions simply address the four greatest figures in a franchise, which is not the same as Mount Rushmore. George, Abe, Tom and TR were just choices of the designer. Old West personalities were the original plans.

And is the "Sportscasters Mount Rushmore" thread still accessible?
"They have their hands cut out for them." J. Vilma 11/23/18

Jon Chelesnik

#13 Post by Jon Chelesnik » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 am

In Dan Sileo's RadioInk article about why callers are bad for sports talk radio, he writes, "If your host has great content and can carry segment to segment, you will not need a host who trolls for calls or asks, "What is your favorite sports movie?"

Again, lists are for lazy hosts. Here is the Sileo article: http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id= ... spid=24698

YoungDuck

#14 Post by YoungDuck » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Say what you will-I find them entertaining. Especially highly relevant/seasonal/Holiday-related ones. I'm a cheese-ball in some ways but I am what I am.

Duff007

#15 Post by Duff007 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Jon,
What we need are good conversations with the people who are actually playing the sports that people are talking about. Here in Detroit, all I hear is the same stuff over and over that is meant to get people to call in with their two cents. First off, Detroit fans are fair-weather gripers. Second, who cares what they think? I want to hear from the players, coaches and front office guys. If I want to hear guys talking about their Top 10 lists, I'll stay up for Letterman.